Monday, February 16, 2009

Shooting Stars

I was listening to my ipod while driving the other morning, and right about sunrise, as the black sky dotted with stars was slowly dissolving into the pinkish purple horizon, a song came on that nearly brought me to tears. Not what I expected from a gutter punk band out of Minnesota.

After listening to it about 10 times in a row, I felt that I should share. It seems to fit in with something that has been weighing on me pretty heavily for quite some time now. Here are the lyrics.

Jesus who are you talking to
I don’t wanna get involved
I know it might be my duty
But I don’t feel called
I know everyone’s beautiful
And I try to understand
But I wish you’d stop bothering me
And hold someone else’s hand

Do you know who they are in my eyes?
Can you see the shooting stars in my skies?

Jesus who are you talking to
Do you know who she is?
Oh, of course we love them
But this is not how we live
I can try to be sorry
If you tell me that I’m wrong
Oh, of course I believe you
When no one else is around

Do you know who they are in my eyes?
Can you see the shooting stars in my skies?
Do you know who they are in my eyes?
Can you see the shooting stars in my skies?

Originally I thought the “shooting stars” line was just a lame rhyme for the first line of the chorus. Around the 3rd listen though, as the last of the stars where disappearing from sight and the sun was in view, I found myself thinking back to the last time I was lucky enough to see a shooting star and the exhilaration of catching such a moment.

How much more beautiful are even the most unlovable people to God, and if this is the case, how important should they be to me?

I apologize for the sappiness, but it put things in perspective for me.

No comments: