Monday, August 25, 2014

Now or Never

"Most of our obstacles would melt away if instead of cowering before them, we make up our minds and walk boldly through them." - Orison Swett Marden

I have a confession to make...

I care what people think about me. 

I don't like admitting it. I prefer to think of myself as immune to peer pressure, but I am not, and I've had a strong reminder of this recently.

I've been out of the music scene for several years now. I needed to put the guitar away for a while and take care of some business, but now that I have, I'm ready to get back to playing. This is exciting, but also a little scary. I want to follow my dream of fronting a blues band, but I have my reservations.

I'm afraid people will think I'm not a good enough singer.
I'm afraid people will think I'm not a good enough guitar player.
I'm afraid people will think I'm not a good enough song writer.
I'm afraid people will think I'm not a good enough front man.
I'm afraid people will think I'm not good enough at jamming and improvisation.
I'm afraid people will think I'm irresponsible for starting a band in my thirties.
I'm afraid musicians will think I'm not good enough to start a band with.
I'm afraid the blues scene will think I'm a fake.

I had an elderly client end our phone call last week by saying "Have a good day and remember this isn't a trial run. You only get one try at life, so do it right." His words really impacted me. These fears have caused me to delay following this dream for several years, but I'm not going to let them any longer.

If you've got a similar set of fears floating through your head, causing you not to act on something you'd like to accomplish in life, I'd encourage you to put them aside and follow your dream. I believe that even if you fail, it will have been worth the effort. 

It really Really REALLY is now or never.


No comments: