Monday, July 14, 2014

Wrestling Gators

“I want to get more comfortable being uncomfortable. I want to get more confident being uncertain. I don’t want to shrink back just because something isn't easy. I want to push back, and make more room in the area between I can’t and I can.” - Kristin Armstrong

If you woke up one morning and there was an alligator at your front door, what would you do? 

You might try to shoo it away by yourself, or you might call the Gator Boys, but regardless of the method, priority number one is alligator removal.

I wake up with an alligator at my door every morning. I used to ignore him. I'd busy myself to take my mind off of him, but at the end of the day, there he was, right where I left him, waiting to bite me. 

One day I decided I'd had enough. It was a lot of work, but I wrestled the gator away from my door. The next morning when I woke up, he was there again, so I wrestled him away again. Day after day he showed up and day after day I wrestled him away. Eventually, after enough repetition, I had trained him not to come back. The alligator at my door was my own weight gain. Wrestling him meant eating better. Training him meant establishing good habits. Wrestling the alligator allowed me to lose 30 pounds and I've kept it off for more than 3 years now. 

These days I've got a lot of my alligators trained but new ones still show up every morning. They're the uncomfortable issues I need to address, the important tasks I need to accomplish, the actions that are uncomfortable but stimulate growth. Wrestling alligators is a lot of work, but ignoring them accomplishes nothing. 





No comments: