Sunday, September 6, 2009

10 Stupid things I said in my teens and early 20s.

Now that I’m “growing up” I find myself thinking back to a lot of the things I said when I was younger and reveling in my naive stupidity. It’s a commonly known fact of life that teenagers and college agers think they know everything. One of the greatest things I’ve learned so far in my nearly 28 years on this earth is that I “know” very little and I can learn a lot more from people than I can probably teach them. This doesn’t keep me from trying though, so with that in mind, here is a list of 10 stupid things I said in my late teens and early 20s.

Some are personal and probably won’t relate to you or where you’re at in life, but they’ll be a good laugh. On the other hand, some are probably things you’ve heard come out of your own mouth. If I sound harsh, don’t be offended. I’m not saying anything to you that I haven’t already said to myself at some point or another.

1. I’ll NEVER work there again.

You think I would have learned after the first time, but no, I can picture 3 different times in my life where I uttered these words. All three jobs I ended up coming back to eventually, one of which I’m currently working at and happily basing a long-term career plan around. When you’re broke, even the worst job can seem appealing again and often times when you return with a different attitude you can’t understand why it was so bad in the first place. Luckily my dad taught me to never burn my bridges. Imagine me re-applying at a job after I had previously told off the boss. I know the movies make it look like the most liberating experience in the world, but in most cases it’ll do nothing but hurt you.

2. I will always love you.

Yeah right. Not to be a downer on love because I’m married to a wonderful girl who I plan on spending the rest of my life with, but mostly bad decisions are made after these words are spoken. Yeah, I’m sure it was meant to be romantic, but 10 years down the road you’ll probably be laughing at yourself. I know you think you’re always going to feel this way, but you won’t.

PS. Girls… guys will use this line without remorse, and most of them only plan on “loving” you for the next 20 minutes or so.

3. Money is not a priority.

The love of money is the root of all evil, but the disrespect of money in your life will lead you to more heartache than almost anything. I talked to a girl once, who after having a “revelation,” quit her job and bought tickets to Portland on her credit card. “Money doesn’t matter,” she said “I’ll figure it out later. I just need to get out and live life.” You can live life, and probably even a fuller life, without spending a ton of money. The trip to Portland, or clothes from the Banana Republic that you can’t really afford may feel liberating in the moment, but that credit card debt is going to be an anchor around your neck when you’re tossed into the ocean of life!!! I’m not joking!!!

4. God put me here to save Rock and Roll.

Nothing really to learn from this one other than things you say while in highly philosophical moods and trying to impress girls are usually ridiculous. I kinda want to shoot myself in the face for having said this.

5. I don’t like being efficient.

Used to be I didn’t care if I had to make an extra trip, found things on sale, re-watched a movie in the theater, threw away leftovers or drove a vehicle with bad gas mileage, but the truth of the matter is that if you’re not being efficient, you’re being wasteful. Planning ahead, or even just thinking ahead can make a world of difference in many areas in your life.

6. I don’t care what people think about me.

Now this one is tricky so listen carefully. For the most part, I still don’t care what people think about me. I don’t care how I look driving an old car (that I’ve never made a payment on) instead of a new one, or living in a small house (that we can afford) instead of a big one. I’m not worried if people judge me on certain things and I believe this is good trait. On the other hand, the meaning of “I don’t care what people think about me” has changed from when I originally started saying it. In the past, this line was nothing more than an excuse to do whatever I wanted. I didn’t care what certain people thought as long as not caring made others think highly of me. It’s only now I realize how hypocritical I was.

7. Any trendy phrase I have ever spoken.

Trendy language just irks me. It’s probably something I should get over because it’ll never go away, but I can’t help it. Shamefully, I admit I have been a part of it in the past. Nowadays I just try to ridicule the practice by using the phrases long after they have lost their trendiness. Currently, my phrases of choice are “ahhhh snap” circa 2003 and “Niiiiiiice.” Phrases you can punch me in the nose for using would be “Legit” and “I know right?” at least until next year. Seriously people, they’re just trends! Some frat boy or valley girl probably started them. No one was saying them last year, and no one will be saying them next year!

8. I would DIE without music.

Seriously. Yes I said that. Like I’m really going to stop breathing if I can’t play guitar or listen to my ipod. And to think, most of the music I was listening to back then really sucked. (Oh yes, your musical tastes will change.)

9. I HATE this town!

Believe it or not, even the angst filled teens and New York, Seattle, Paris and Rio De Janeiro have probably spoken these words. The place you live is not the problem, YOU ARE. I’ve traveled all over the country and the plight is always the same. “There’s nothing to do here” (strangely enough I usually hear it from the kids who WON’T be coming to the concert we’re putting on for them). Stop you’re whining and go do something already.

10. I’m never going to use this in real life.

I think I drove this one into the ground, mostly in my Algebra 1 and 2 classes (both of which I failed the first time I took them). Have I specifically had to use Algebra 2 in my life since I graduated? No, but it doesn’t mean I haven’t generally used it, or wished I’d spent more time learning it. Challenging your mind stretches your brain. It helps you think and it helps you reason. Having knowledge will never be detrimental to you regardless of if you’ll be able to specifically use it. I really wish I could have those high school days back. I would have been less lazy and signed up for all the advanced classes and I would have breezed through any of them simply by putting my mind to it. I’m sure you could probably do the same.


Just so you know, I plan on writing another one of these posts in about 10 years called "10 Stupid things I said in my late 20s and early 30s."

No comments: