Thursday, February 28, 2008

Death to PC!!!






Hopefully this will be the last post I ever write from a PC.


I finally decided to get with the program and ordered an Apple Computer this week. This has been a move I've been looking forward to for quite some time now. I wasn't able to order the brand spanking new Macbook Pro that Apple just released, but thanks to that release, the Pro I ordered was discounted quite a bit. (I'm ok not having the latest and greatest if it saves me $600. Besides, Apple will just come out with another latest and greatest in another 6 months.)

When I talk about hating PC though, I'm not just talking about the guy with glasses or the personal computer he represents. Recently, I've come to realize how much I hate Political Correctness. Don't get me wrong, I don't think racist, sexist or other offensive speech should be tolerated, but the level to which political correctness has been taken is ridiculous. PC has gone beyond censoring what we say and is now trying to censor what we think and believe.

For example, if I were to look at the world through the PC lens, in order to be "tolerant" of my friend who is a Jehovah’s Witness, I would have to agree that both of our views is equally valid. This is impossible. For me to believe what I believe, I cannot think his beliefs are equal to mine.

If it were up to PC, I think John 6:14 would read something like this:

Jesus answered, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” *

* Keywords “I”, “Father”, and “me” as found in line 6 of chapter 14 in the book of John are subject to interpretation based upon individual preference and/or sentiment. Furthermore, “Jesus” as established in the aforementioned passage is the topic of elucidation and is considered interchangeable with such figures as Allah, Confucius, or Chuck Norris (any figures not mentioned are similarly viable). Moreover, it is the conclusion of the board that the statement “no one” as found in the text, is insensitive and, if inclined, one can replace the word “no” with whatever adjective one deems acceptable.

I haven’t read any other holy books, but my guess is that few are this vague.


According to PC, my friend and I shouldn’t be able to get along, but somehow we do. I’m not surprised. I respect him as a person and he feels the same about me, even though our beliefs are vastly different. I’d love it if he believed what I believe because I think I'm right, but that doesn't mean we can't coexist peacefully and even beneficially.


Maybe I'm just extra sensitive these days, but it seems that anyone with an agenda can make a little noise and force the rest of society to bend to their will. If this is the case it's time for me to to get noisy about mine.

For sake of the pun, let's replace PC with Mac; The Mutual Agreement of Consciousness.


Mac users will be conscious of the cultural, ethnic and religious differences inherent in the world, but won’t feel pressured to adopt a “universal” mindset. We won’t be afraid to hold fast to our beliefs and share them with others, but won’t expect a conversion to extend our friendship and respect.

Besides, if PC gets his way, 1984 will only be about 30 years behind schedule.

No comments: